Intensive English Program
|Standard Intensive English Language Program|
|Listening & Communication|
|Reading & Writing|
|TOTAL Hours/Week||18-21 hours/week|
Sessions last 5 to 7.5 weeks and include 18-21 class hours per week, based on location and level.
On-Campus Intensive English Programs include:
- 6-level curriculum in preparation for university/college admission
- Study grammar, reading, writing, speaking, and listening
- 18-21 hours of intensive English classes per week + optional elective classes
- Weekly social activities and trips
- Internet and computer access
- Access to library, health center, gym, and other campus facilities
- Housing options include host families, campus dorms, apartments, or hostels. (Options depend on availability and vary by location.)
- As a Level 6 student, you will attend a graded university class, followed by a review with an A.C.E. instructor.
- Receive individualized attention from expert instructors.
- Practice your conversational English skills with an American partner through the Language and Culture Partners Program.
- Individual tutors can help enrich your language learning through private one-on-one sessions.
Tuition Cost, Schedule and Duration
|Tuition costs and session duration vary at each location. Below are the tuition costs per session.|
|A.C.E. at Montana State University||$2600 per session (7.5 weeks)|
|A.C.E. at Seattle Pacific University||$1730 per session (5 weeks)|
|A.C.E. at the University of Rhode Island||$3000 per session (7.5 weeks)|
|A.C.E. at Saint Francis University||$3000 per session (7.5 weeks)|
Please click the institute location links above for a complete list of program fees and session calendars for each institute. Tuition in the western region (MSU & SPU) averages $346/week; tuition in the eastern region (URI & SFU) averages $400/week.
Estimated Time to Complete Each Skill Level
A.C.E. offers Levels 1-6. You will receive a placement test upon arrival to determine which level is most appropriate. On average, it takes 7.5 to 10 weeks of study to complete a level, depending on location. A student beginning in Level 1 could complete the entire program in 50-60 weeks.
Sample Class Schedule
Here is a sample of what your class schedule might look like. Actual class times vary at each institute location and may change.
M/W/F: 8-9:20 am
T/Th: 8-10:20 am
Reading, Writing, & Grammar
M/W: 11 am - 1:20 pm
T/Th: 11:30 am-1:50 pm
M/W/F: 9:30-10:20 am
T/Th: 10:30-11:20 am
M/W: 1:30-2:35 pm
T/Th: 2-3 pm
Program Level Fluency Equivalents
A.C.E. Levels 1 - 6 cover a broad range from beginner through advanced. Students who complete each level generally achieve a fluency comparable to the equivalent TOEFL scores below. Note: This does not guarantee your score.
|Level 6: 550
Level 5: 520
Level 4: 480
|Level 3: 450
Level 2: 420
Level 1: 390
In addition to the essential core curriculum, you can choose optional features to expand your English skills or to explore a topic of personal interest. Availability may vary by location and time period, and may include the following features:
- TOEFL & IELTS Test Preparation Elective Class
- Conversation & Pronunciation Elective Class
- Cultural Seminars
- Language and Culture Partners Program
- Student Council Representative Program
- One-on-One Personal Tutoring
Flex Program (Available Only at A.C.E. at Seattle Pacific University)
Design your own specialized program to gain the skills you want.
- Study 10 hours/week in one of our Intensive English Program Classes (Listening, Communication & Grammar OR Reading & Writing)
- Spend 5 hours/week in a conversation group AND 5 hours/week with your own personal tutor.
- Part-Time and Short-Term Flex Programs are also available.
Business Certificate Program
Apply to UW Professional and Continuing Education after completing A.C.E. level 5 to earn a Business Certificate.
TESOL Certificate Program
Apply to The School of Teaching ESL to earn your TESOL Certificate after completing A.C.E. level 6.